Reading Recommendations • San Jose Addiction Counseling
In my addiction counseling sessions as an addiction therapist, I sometimes offer reading recommendations and self-help books as an adjunct to our work together. Often, my clients find that the work they do outside of counseling is a catalyst for further exploration during our sessions.
The recommended books are meant to be in addition to addiction and codependency counseling, not instead of it. Although I’m familiar with the books listed, I am not necessarily in agreement with all aspects of them.
The following books, workbooks, and self-help books can be purchased online at Amazon.com or from local San Jose and San Francisco area book stores.
Addiction and Substance Abuse
- The Addictive Personality: Understanding the Addictive Process and Compulsive Behavior. Craig Nakken. Center City, MN: Hazelden, 1996.
- Addiction: Why Can’t They Just Stop? Susan Cheever. New York, NY: Rodale Books, 2007.
- Alcoholics Anonymous – Big Book 4th Edition. AA Services. New York, NY: Alcoholics Anonymous World Services, Inc., 2002.
- End Your Addiction Now: The Proven Nutritional Supplement Program That Can Set You Free. Charles Gant. Clayton South, Vic, UK: Warner Books, 2002.
- Natural Highs: Supplements, Nutrition, and Mind-Body Techniques to Help You Feel Good All the Time. Hyla Cass. New York, NY: Avery, 2003.
- Twelve Steps and Twelve Traditions. AA Services. Center City, MN: Hazelden: Alcoholics Anonymous World Services, Inc., 2002.
- The Encyclopedia Of Addictions And Addictive Behaviors. Esther, M.D. New York, NY: Facts on File, 2005.
- Seven Weeks to Sobriety: The Proven Program to Fight Alcoholism through Nutrition. Joan Mathews Larsen. New York: Ballantine Books, 1997.
Codependency and Adult Children of Alcoholics and Addicts
- Adult Children of Alcoholics. Janet Woititz. Deerfield Beach FL: HCI;, 1990.
- Another Chance: Hope and Health for the Alcoholic Family. Sharon Wegscheider. Palo Alto, CA: Science and Behavior Books, Inc., 1981.
- Codependent No More. Melody Beattie. Center City, MN: Hazelden Educational Materials, 1987.
It Will Never Happen To Me. Claudia Black, Ph.D., MSW. New York, NY: Ballantine Books, Inc., 1981.
- Minding the Body, Mending the Mind. Joan Borysenko. New York: Bantam, 1988.
- Recovery: A Guide for Adult Children of Alcoholics. Herbert L. Gravitz and Julie D. Bowden. New York, NY: Fireside/Learning Publication Book, Simon & Schuster, Inc., 1985.
- Recovery from Addiction: A Comprehensive Understanding of Substance Abuse With Nutritional Therapies for Recovering Addicts and Co-Dependent. John Finnegan and Daphne Gray. Berkeley, CA: Celestial Arts, 1990.
- Repeat After Mecovery. Claudia Black, Ph.D., MSW. New York, NY: Mac Publishing, 1995.
- Spiritual Nutrition: Six Foundations for Spiritual Life and the Awakening of Kundalini. Gabriel Cousens. Berkeley, CA: North Atlantic Books, 2005.
- Struggle for Intimacy. Janet Geringer Woititz. Deerfield Beach FL: Health Communications, 1985.
- Time to Heal, A: The Road to Recovery for Adult Children of Alcoholics. Timmen L. Cermak, MD. Los Angeles, CA: Jeremy P. Tarcher, Inc., 1988.
- Treating Adult Children of Alcoholics: A Developmental Perspective. Stephanie Brown. New York, NY: Wiley, 1996.