Film Recommendations • San Jose Addiction Counseling
In my anxiety counseling sessions, I often provide Cinema Therapy film recommendations as an adjunct to our work together. My clients have commented that they find that the work they do outside of sessions is a catalyst for further exploration during our counseling. I am an addiction therapist who frequently uses cinema therapy.
Of course, my film recommendations movies are intended to be in addition to psychotherapy, not instead of it. Although I’m familiar with the films listed, I am not necessarily in agreement with all aspects of them. The following films can be purchased online at Amazon.com or from local San Jose and San Francisco area book and video stores. Most of them can also be rented at Amazon.com of Netflix.
- Sandra Bullock, Viggo Mortensen. Director: Betty Thomas, 2000.
- Clean and Sober. Michael Keaton, Morgan Freeman. Director: Glenn Gordon Caron, 1988.
- My Name Is Bill W. James Woods, JoBeth Williams. Director: Daniel Petrie, 1989.
- St. Elmo’s Fire. Emilio Estevez, Demi Moore. Director: Joel Schumacher, 1985.
- Tender Mercies. Robert Duvall, Ellen Barkin. Director: Bruce Beresford, 1983.
- Affliction. Nick Nolte, James Coburn, Sissy Spacek. Director: Paul Schrader, 1998.
- Blue Sky. Jessica Lange, Tommy Lee Jones. Director: Tony Richardson, 1992.
- Days of Wine and Roses. Jack Lemmon, Lee Remick. Director: Blake Edwards, 1962.
- Mommy Dearest. Faye Dunaway, Diana Scarwid. Director: Frank Perry, 1981.
- When A Man Loves A Woman. Andy Garcia, Meg Ryan. Director: Luis Mandoki, 1994.